Preparing Your Child for School at W.E. Striplin Elementary During COVID-19
We will begin traditional school with a staggered start to help students learn new procedures:
Students with parent’s last name starting with A-E – Monday, September 28
Students with parent’s last name starting with F-K – Tuesday September 29
Students with parent’s last name starting with L-Q – Wednesday, September 30
Students with parent’s last name starting with R-Z – Thursday, October 1
Friday(10/2): All students will be virtual
*STUDENTS WILL ONLY COME TO SCHOOL ONE DAY THE FIRST WEEK, DETERMINED BY THE FIRST LETTER OF PARENT/GUARDIAN LAST NAME.
Virtual Students – if your child will continue virtual instruction, he/she must remain for the nine week period. Parents will need to notify the school in writing a week prior to returning to traditional instruction (October 14, December 15, & March 8, 2021).
Discuss with your child what it means to social distance from others and why this is important. We will be avoiding large groups of students in the lunchroom and gym. Therefore, visitors will NOT be allowed. We are also providing clear dividers to help social distance students in the classroom.
Please help your child get in the habit of keeping hands (and other items) away from his/her face (mouth, nose, and eyes). Practice good hygiene practices by washing hands for 20 seconds, and teach your child how to safely use hand sanitizer. Hand sanitizer dispensers have been placed throughout the building for student use. Custodians will be working extra hard to keep the building clean.
Due to the Governor’s mandate, students in grades 2nd-5th will be required to wear a face covering. It is recommended that all students wear a face covering during arrival and dismissal. Students in all grades will be provided with a cloth mask from the State Department, and will be providing each student with a clear face shield for the classroom. Parents will be responsible for keeping masks clean. Please practice wearing the mask at home. Good website: healthychildren.org
We may check temperatures during the day using a no touch thermometer. Please do not send your child to school if they are experiencing any of the COVID-19 symptoms. Parents will be contacted if students are exposed or are symptomatic.
Please make sure that your child is able to tie their shoes or consider purchasing shoes with velcro or that slip on. Tennis shoes must be worn for P.E. Here is a great video for learning to tie shoes: shorturl.at/blpNV
Allow your child an opportunity to practice opening items that may be in their lunchbox, or in a school lunch, such as string cheese, chip bags, Lunchables, and various drink containers. Your child will need a water bottle, labeled with their name, to bring back and forth each day since water fountains will not be available.
Hugs can only be given on an as needed basis, so we will be doing a lot of elbow bumps, air hugs, winks, big waves, and smiles.
WE ARE SO EXCITED TO HAVE YOUR CHILD AT W.E Striplin Elementary!! THANK YOU FOR HELPING MAKE THIS A POSITIVE EXPERIENCE!
- SEATING CHARTS ARE MANDATORY! This will assist in our contact tracing efforts.
- Students will not share supplies – individualized center stations will be used in the classroom.
- Water bottles at seats if possible – water fountains closed.
- Arrival time for ALL students – 7:35 AM – NO gathering on the school grounds at any time. Please remain in your car until students can enter the building.
- Photo Identification (driver’s license, state id, military id, etc.) will be required to checkout students during the school day. Students will be escorted to the front door.
- Wash and sanitize your hands! – EVERYONE (Students and employees) must WASH hands after visiting the restroom and before eating.
- Sanitize hands both before and after PE.
- Masks are required for all students to ride the bus.
- Students can sit with family members.